The Hare Krishna Mantra For Hearing And Vocally Impaired People
On this page you can read various answers from many different devotees, about the question “How does The Hare Krishna Mantra” work for someone who is hearing and vocally impaired from birth?” Each new paragraph represents a new answer, given by various devotees.
1) They have special books in India for dumb people so they can write Ramas name over and over again
2) I have met a few very sincere devotees in the UK who attend the temple and who were deaf from birth. They seem to me to be doing very well and most definitely getting the Lord’s mercy. The Temple also started sign language classes for these devotees.
3) I am sure if he goes to any bonafied Vaishnava then by their mercy he will have a dream or something, and in that way he will be able to hear the Hare Krishna mantra. Then he could chant in the mind, just as Haridas Thakur would chant a lakh every day in his mind. All initiated disciples chant their Gayatri mantras in the mind to. If he were able to read, as most deaf people can, he would then also be able to hear the pastimes of Krishna and the siddhanta (philosophical truths)
4) One does not have to chant loudly, silent is equally potent and i think even more so writing the mantra over and over again, which involves even more concentration. Perfect for deaf persons.
5) In case of being blind deaf and dumb. The vibrations of the chanting are there to be felt? Thinking about it, the Maha Mantra is transcendental, and penetrates the layers of the mind and so on, so just playing the mantra with Jappa tape (A CD with the chanting on it*) would be very beneficial.
6) We have physical sight, physical hearing and we have subtle sight and subtle hearing, so who knows? I just remember all those wonderful souls in the holy dharmas ( Holy places in India) with no eyes, nor ears to hear, yet they are there are around all the great and holy places soaking up the vibrations.
7) The transcendental Name of God transcends any mundane senses… One can chant the Lord’s Name with their heart and vibrate the Name of God spiritually mentally. I would also recommend holding such persons hands to your lips, as you chant the Holy Name so they may hear through the vibration of the Holy Name emanating from your lips J
8) I lived with a devotee family that cared for a mentally ill young lady during the day for income. The young lady would only grunt and had to wear diapers… The man of the house would chant Hare krishna approximately 18 of the 24 hours in a day. They showed the lady who was in her early 20s photos/paintings of Krishna and told her it was Krishna. In the home kirtan of the Holy Name was routinely played to include recording of His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. She also partook of transcendental prasadam, ( sanctified vegetarian food offered to Lord krishna). The Lady of the House took the young lady to New Raman Reti (A holy place in India) as we lived minutes from the temple… There, she was to receive the Darshan ( meeting, audience of seeing the deity ) of Krishna. Upon seeing the Krishna deity this lady broke through her disability and blurted out loudly the most perfect sounding Name of Krishna, “KRISHNA” Never underestimate the power of the Holy Name….
9) When the Lord loudly chanted “Haribol!” the trees and creepers became jubilant to hear Him.
The loud chanting of the Hare Krsna mantra is so powerful that it can even penetrate the ears of trees and creepers, what to speak of those of animals and human beings. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu once asked Haridasa Thakura how trees and plants could be delivered, and Haridasa Thakura replied that the loud chanting of the Hare Krsna maha-mantra would benefit not only trees and plants but insects and all other living beings. One should therefore not be disturbed by the loud chanting of Hare Krishna, for it is beneficial not only to the chanter, but to everyone who gets an opportunity to hear.
Srila A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. CC Mad 17.45
10) On this earth there are many living entities, the Lord said, some moving and some not moving. What will happen to the trees, plants, insects and other living entities? How will they be delivered from material bondage?
Haridas Thakura replied, “My dear Lord, the deliverance of all moving and non moving living entities takes place only by Your mercy. You have already granted this mercy and delivered them. You have loudly chanted the Hare Krsna mantra, and everyone, moving or not moving, has benefited by hearing it. My Lord, the moving entities who have heard Your loud Sankirtana have already been delivered from bondage to the material world, and after the non moving living entities like trees hear it, there is an echo. Actually, however, it is not an echo: it is the kirtana of the non moving living entities. All this, although inconceivable, is possible by Your mercy. When loud chanting of the Hare Krsna mantra is performed all over the world by those who follow in Your footsteps, all living entities, moving and non moving, dance in ecstatic devotional love.”
Srila A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada
Sri Caitanya-caritamrita Antya-lila 3.67-76, 86
* To download the Hare Krishna mantra please visit
11) Simply writing the Mantra down and reading it over and over again is a completely bonafied method for heard hearing people