by Bhaktivinode Thakur( written in 1880-1897)
Click here if you want to read Saranagati without the accompanying slokas (verses)
1. sri-krsna-caitanya prabhu jibe doya kori
swa-parsada swiya dhama saha abatori
2.atyanta durlabha prema koribare dana
sikhaya saranagati bhakatera prana
3.dainya, atma-nivedana, goptritwe barana
abasya rokhibe krsna — biswasa, palana
4.bhakti-anukula-matra karjera swikara
5.sad-anga saranagati hoibe jahara
tahara prarthana sune sri-nanda-kumara
6.rupa-sanatana-pade dante trina kori
bhakativinoda pore duhun pada dhori
7.kandiya kandiya bale ‘ami-to’ adhama
sikhaye saranagati koro he uttama
- Out of compassion for the fallen souls, Sri Krisna Caitanya came to this world with His personal associates and divine abode to teache saranagati, surrender to the almighty Godhead, and to freely distribute ecstatic love of God, which is ordinarily very difficult to obtain.
- This saranagati is the very life of the true devotee
- The ways of saranagati are humility, dedication of the self, acceptance of the Lord as one’s only maintainer, faith that Krishna will surely protect, execution of only those acts favorable to pure devotion, and renunciation of conduct adverse to pure devotion.
- The youthful son of Nanda Maharaja, Sri Krishna, hears the prayers of anyone who takes refuge in Him by this six-fold practice.
- Bhaktivinoda places a straw between his teeth, prostrates himself before the two Goswamis,Sri Rupa and Sri Sanatana, and clasps their lotus feet with his hands. “I am certainly the lowest of men.” he tells them weeping, “but please make me the best of men by teaching me the ways of saranagati”
(1) Dainya, humility, 7 songs
1.bhuliya tomare, somsare asiya
peye nama-bidha byatha
tomara carana asiyachi ami,
bolobo duhkhera katha
2. janani-jathare, chilama jakhona,
ek-bara prabhu! dekha diya more,
boncile e dina dase
3. takhona bhavinu, janama paiya,
koribo bhajana taba
janama hoilo, pori maya-jale
na hoilo jnana-laba
4. adarera chele, swajanera kole,
hasiya katanu kala
janaka-janani- snehete bhuliya,
somsara lagilo bhalo
5. krame dina dina, balaka hoiya,
ara kichu dine, jnana upajilo,
patha pori ahar-ahah
6. bidyara gaurave, bhromi dese dese,
dhana uparjana kori
swajana palana, kori eka-mane,
bhulinu tomare, hari!
7.bardhakye ekhona, bhakativinoda
kandiya katara ati
na bhojiya tore, dina britha gelo,
ekhona ki habe gati!
- I forsook You, O Lord, and came to this world of pain and sorrow. Now I submit my tale of woe at Your lotus feet.
- While still in the unbearable fetters of my mother’s womb, I saw You before me You revealed Yourself but briefly and then abandoned this poor servant of Yours.
- At that moment I swore to worship You after taking birth; but birth came, and with it the network of wordly illusion which robbed me of all good sense.
- As a fonded son in the lap of relatives, I passed my time smiling and laughing. My parents’ affection helped me to forget the pangs of birth, and I thought the world was very nice.
- Day by day I grew and soon began playing with other boys. Shortly my powers of understanding emerged. I read and studied my lessons incessantly.
- Travelling from place to place, proud of my education, I grew wealthy and maintained my family with undivided attention. O Lord Hari, I forgot You!
- Now in old age, Bhaktivinoda is sad. He weeps. I failed to worship You, O Lord, and instead passed my life in vain. What will be my fate now?
(2)1.bidyara bilase katainu kala,
parama sahase ami
tomara carana, na bhojinu kobhu,
ekhona sarana tumi
2. porite porite, bharasa barilo
jnane gati habe mani
se asa bifala, se jnana durbala
se jnana ajnana jani
3. jada-bidya jato, mayara vaibhava,
tomara bhajane badha
moha janamiya, anitya somsare,
jibake karaye gadha
4. sei gadha ho’ye, somsarera ‘bojha,
bhavinu aneka kala
bardhakye ekhona, sakti na abhave,
kichu nahi lage bhalo
5. jibana jatana, hoilo ekhona,
se bidya abidya bhelo
abidyara jwala, ghatilo bisama,
se bidya hoilo selo
6. tomara carana, bina kichu dhana,
somsare na ache ara
bhakativinoda, jada-bidya chari
tuwa pada kare sara
- Confidently, I spent my time in the pleasures of mundane learning and never worshiped Your Lotus feet, O Lord. Now You are my only shelter.
- Reading on and on, my hopes grew, for I considered material knowledge to be life’s true path.
- How fruitless was that hope, and how feeble that knowledge proved to be. I know now that all such knowledge is ignorance.Knowledge of this world is knowledge born of Your illusory energy (maya). It impedes devotional service and makes an ass of the eternal soul by encouraging his infatuation with this temporary world.
- Here is one such ass who for so long has carried on his back the burden of material existence. Now in my old age, for want of the power to enjoy, nothing pleases me.
- Life has become agony now, my knowledge has proven itself worthless, and ignorance has penetrated my heart with the intolerable, burning pain of a pointed shaft.
- O Lord, I seek no other treasure in this world than Your lotus feet. Bhaktivinoda abandons everything to make them the sum and substance of his life.
(3)1. jaubane jakhona, dhana-uparjane,
hoinu bipula kami
dharama smariya, grihinira kara,
dhorinu takhona ami
2. somsara pata’ye tahara sahita,
kala-khoy koinu kato
bahu sutaasuta, janama lobhilo,
marame hoinu hato
3. samsarera bhara, bare dine dine,
acala hoilo gati
bardhakya asiya, gherilo amare,
asthira hoilo mati
4. piraya asthira, cintaya jwarita
abhave jwalita citta
upaya na dekhi, andhakara-moya,
ekhona ho’yeche bhita
5. somsara-tatani srota nahe sesa
marana nikate ghora
saba samapiya, bhojibo tomaya
e asa bifala mora
ebe suno prabhu! ami gati-hina
taba krpa bina, sakali nirasa,
deho more padasroya
- When I was young, I greatly desired to earn money. At that time bearing in mind the codes of religion, I took a wife. Together we set up a household, wasted much time, had many sons and daughters… my heart grew heavy.
- The burden increased day by day, I felt my life at a standstill. Old age came, grabbed me, and made my mind fickle and disturbed.
- Diseases trouble me now, and constant anxiety has made me feverish. My heart burns from lack of satisfaction, and I see no way out. All is darkness and I am very much afraid.
- The current of this worldly river is strong and relentless. A frightening, gloomy death approaches. How I wish I could give up my worldly attachements. I would worship You, O Lord, but it is a useless hope.
- Now please hear me, O Lord, for I am utterly helpless. Bhaktivinoda says, “Without Your mercy, everything is lost. Please give me the shelter of Your lotus feet.”
(4)1.amara jibana, sada pape rata
nahiko punyera lesa
parere udvega, diyachi je kato
diyachi jibere klesa
2 nija sukha lagi, pape nahi dori,
para-sukhe duhkhi, sada mithya-bhase,
3 asesa kamana, hrdi mahje mora,
mada-matta sada, bisaye mohita,
4 nidralasya hata, sukarje birata,
akarje udyogi ami
pratistha lagiya, sathya acarana,
lobha-hata sada kami
5 e heno durjana, saj-jana-barjita,
nana duhkhe jara jara
6 bardhakye ekhona, upaya-bihina,
ta te dina akincana
bhakativinoda, prabhura carane
kare duhkha nibedana
- I am an impious sinner and have caused others great anxiety and trouble.
- I have never hesitated to perform sinful act for my own enjoiment. Devoid of all compassion, concerned only with my own selfish interests, I am remorseful seeing others happy. I am a perpetual liar, and the misery of others is a source of great pleasure for me.
- The material desires within the core of my heart are unlimited. I am wrathful, devoted to false pride and arrogance, intoxicated by vanity, and bewildred by worldly affairs. Envy and egotism are the ornaments I wear.
- Ruined by laziness and sleep, I resist all pious deeds; yet I am very active and enthusiastic to perform wicked acts. For worldly fame and reputation I engage in the practice of deceitfulness. Thus I am destroyed by my own greed and am always lustful.
- A vile, wicked man such as this, rejected by godly people, is a constant offender. I am such a person, devoid of all good works, forever inclined toward evil, worn out and wasted by various miseries.
- Now in old age, deprived of all means of succes, humbled and poor, Bhaktivinoda submits his tale of grief at the feet of the Supreme Lord.
(5)1.(prabhu he!) suno mor duhkher kahini
bisaya-halahala sudha-bhane piyalun
ab abasana dinamani
2.khela-rase saisaba, porhaite kaisora,
gowaolun, na bhelo vibeka
bhoga-base jaubane, ghara pati boshilun
suta-mita barhalo aneka
3.brddha-kala aolo, saba sukha bhagalo,
pida-base katainu katar
sarbendriya durbala, khina kalebara,
bhogabhave duhkhita antar
4.jnana-laba-hina bhakti-rase banchita,
ara mora ki habe upaya
patita-bandhu, tuhun, patitadhama hama,
kripaya uthao tapa paya
5.bicarite abahi, guna nahi paobi,
krpa karo, chorato bicara
taba pada-pankaja- sidhu pibaoto
bhakativinoda karo para
- Hear, O Lord, my story of sadness. I drank the deadly poison of worldliness, pretending it was nectar, and now the sun is setting on the horizon of my life.
- I spent my childhood in play, my youth in academic pursuit, and in me there was no sense of right or wrong. In young manhood I set up a household and settled down to the spell of material enjoyment. Children and friends quickly multiplied.Soon old age arrived, and all happiness departed.
- Subjected to disease, troubled and weak, all my senses are feeble now, my body racked and exhausted, and my spirits downcast in the absence of youthful pleasures.
- Devoid of even a particle of devotion, lacking any enlightenment — what help is there for me now? Only You, O Lord, friend of the fallen. I am certainly fallen, the lowest of men. Please, therefore lift me to Your lotus feet.
- Where You to judge me now, You would find no good qualities. Have mercy and judge me not. Cause me to drink the honey of Your lotus feet and thereby deliver this Bhaktivinoda.
(6)1.(prabhu he!) tua pade e minati mor
tava pada-pallaba, tyajato maru-mana,
bisama bisaye bhelo bhor
2.uthayite takata, punah nahi milo-i,
anudina korohin hutas
dina-jana-natha, tuhun kahayasi,
tomara carana mama asa
3.aichana dina-jana, kohi nahi milo-i,
tuhun more koro parasada
tuwa jana-sange, tuwa katha-range,
charahun sakala paramada
4.tuwa dhama-mahe, tuwa nama gaoto,
gowayabun dina-nisi asa
tua pada-chaya, parama susitala,
mage bhakativinoda dasa
- At Your feet, soft as new-grown leaves, I offer this humble prayer. Those feet shelter the fallen souls who burn from the heat of material existence. But I gave up their shelter, and now my mind scorched by the fire of worldliness, has dried up like a desert.
- I find no strength to go on, and thus I spend my days lamenting My only desire now is for Your lotus feet, O Lord of the meek and humble.
- Has there ever been a soul as forlorn as me? Please be merciful and award me the association of Your devotees, for by tasting the pleasure of hearing your pastimes I shall give up all evils.
- One hope animates my soul: to spend day and night in Your divine abode singing Your holy name. Your tiny servant Bhaktivinoda begs a place in the delightfully cooling shade of Your feet.
(7)1.(prabhu he!) emona durmati, samsara bhitore,
poriya achinu ami
tab nija-jana, kono mahajana
pataile dile tumi
2.doya kori’ more, patita dekhiya,
kohilo amare giya
ohe dina-jana suno bhalo katha
ullasita he’be hiya
3.tomare tarite, sri-krishna-caitanya,
toma heno kato, dina hina jane,
4.bedera pratijna, rakhibara tare,
mahaprabhu name, nadiya mataya,
sange bhai abadhuta
5.nanda-suta jini, caitanya gosai,
nija nama kori’dana
tarilo jagat, tumi-o jaiya,
6.se katha suniya, asiyachi, natha!
bhakativinoda, kandiya kandiya,
- A wicked mind brought me into this world, O Lord, but one of Your pure and elevated devotees has come to bring me out.
- He saw me so fallen and wretched, took pity, and came to me saying, “O humbled soul, please listem to this good tiding, for it will gladden your heart.
- Sri Krishna Caitanya has appeared in the land of Navadvipa to deliver you. He has safely conducted many miserable souls such as you across the sea of worldly existence.
- “To fulfill the promise of the Vedas, the son of a brahmana bearing the name Mahaprabhu of golden complexion, has descended with His brother the avadhuta Nityananda. Together They have overwelmed all of Nadia with divine ecstasy.
- “Sri Caitanya, who is Krishna Himself, the son of Nanda, has saved the world by freely distributing His own holy name. Go also and receive your deliverance.”
- O Lord, hearing those words, Bhaktivinoda has come weeping to the soles of Your lotus feet and tells the story of his life.
(Atma-nivedana, dedication of the self, 8 songs)
(1) 1.na korolun karama, geyana nahi bhelo,
na sebilun carana tohara
jada-sukhe matiya, apanaku banca-i,
pekhahun caudisa andhiyara
2.tuhun natha! karuna-nidana
tuwa pada-pankaje atma samarpilun,
more krpa korobi bidhana
3.pratijna tohara oi, jo hi saranagata,
nahi so janabo paramada
so hama duskrti, gati nahi oi ana,
ab magon tuwa parasada
4.ana mano-ratha, nihsesa chorato,
kab hama haubun tohara
nitya-sebya tuhun, nitya-sebak mui,
bhakativinoda bhava sara
- I have earned neither piety nor knowledge. Overwhelmed by sensual pleasures, I have cheated myself and now see only darkness in all directions.
- You, O Lord, are the fountainhead of all mercy. I surrender myself at Your lotus feet. Kindly show me Your compassion.
- It is Your promise that one who takes refuge in You will know no dangers or fear. For a sinner like me there is no other shelter. I beg You now for infinite grace.
- O when will I know freedom from desire and thus become Yours? You are eternally to be served, I am Your eternal servant, and that is the sum of Bhaktivinoda’s devotional mood.
(2) 1.(praneswar!) kohabun ki sarama ki bat
aichana pap nahi, jo hama na koralun,
sahasra sahasra beri nath
2.sohi karama-fala bhave moke pesa-i,
dokha deobo ab kahi
takhonaka parinam, kichu na bicaralun
ab pachu tara-ite cahi
3.dokha bicara-i, tunhu danda deobi,
hama bhoga korabun somsara
karato gatagati, bhakata-jana-sange,
bati rohu carane tohara
4. apana caturpana, tuwa pade sonpalun,
hrdoya-garaba dure gelo
dina-doya-moya tuwa krpa niramala,
bhakativinoda asa bhelo
- How much more shall I tell You of my shameful story? There is no sin which I have not committed thousands and thousands of times.
- My life in this world has been one of affliction and torment as a result of those sins. Whom will I blame but myself? At the time I did not consider the consequences; now, in the aftermath, I seek to be saved.
- After judging my sins, You should punish me, for I deserve to suffer the pangs of rebirth in this world. I only pray that, as I wander through repeated births and deaths, my mind may ever dwell at Your lotus feet in the company of Vaisnavas.
- I offer You this judicious prayer. My heart’s false pride has gone far away. O You who are so kind to the meek, Your pure mercy has become Bhaktivinoda’s only hope.
(3) manasa, deho, geho, jo kichu mor
arpilu tuwa pade, nanda-kisor!
sampade vipade, jivane-marane
day mama gela, tuwa o-pada barane
marobi rakhobi – jo iccha tohara
nitya-dasa prati tuwa adhikara
janma obi moe iccha jadi tohar
bhakta-grhe jani janma hau mora
kita-janma hau jatha tuwa dasa
bahir-mukha brahma-janme nahi asa
bhukti-mukti-sprha vihina je bhakta
labhaite tako sanga anurakta
janaka, janani, dayita, tanaya
prabhu, guru, pati–tuhu sarva-moya
bhakativinoda kohe, suno kana!
radha-natha! tuhu hamara parana
Mind, body, and family, whatever may be mine, I have surrendered at Your lotus feet, O youthful son of Nanda! In good fortune or in bad, in life or at death, all my difficulties have disappeared by choosing those feet of Yours as my only shelter. Slay me or protect me as You wish, for You are the master of Your eternal servant.If it is Your will that I be born again, then may it be in the home of Your devotee. May I be born again even as a worm, so long as I may remain Your devotee. I have no desire to be born as a Brahma averse to You. I yearn for the company of that devotee who is completely devoid of all desire for worldly enjoyment or liberation. Father, mother, lover, son, Lord, preceptor, and husband; You are everything to me.
Thakura Bhaktivinoda says, "O Kana, please hear me! O Lord of Radha, You are my life and soul!"
4) 1.‘aham mama’ — sabda-arthe jaha kichu hoy
arpilun, tomara pade, ohe doya moy!
2.‘amara’ ami to’ natha! na rohinu ara
ekhona hoinu ami kebala tomar
3.‘ami’ sabde dehi jiba ahamta charilo
twadiyabhimana aji hrdoye posilo
4.amar sarbaswa — deho, geho anucara
bhai, bandhu, dara, suta, drabya, dwara, ghara
5.se saba hoilo taba, ami hoinu dasa
tomara grhete ebe ami kori basa
6.tumi grha-swami, ami sebaka tomara
tomara sukhete cesta ekhona amara
7.sthula-linga-dehe mor sukrita duskrita
ar mor nahe, prabhu! Ami to’nrskrita
8.tomar ichayaya mor ichaya misaila
Bhakativinoda aja apane bhulilo
- Whatever I am, whatever I possess, I offer at Your lotus feet.
- O merciful Lord. I no longer belong to myself. Now I am exclusively Yours.
- The soul inhabiting this mortal body has given up the false ego attached to the word “I”, and now the eternal, spiritual sense of being Yours has entered his heart.
- All my possessions – body, brothers, friends, and followers, wife, sons, personal belongings, house and home- all of these I give You, for I have become Your servant.
- Now I dwell in Your house. You are the Lord of my house, and I Your most obedient servant..
- Your happiness is my only endeavor now.
- Whatever piety or sins were done by me, by mind or deed, are no longer mine, for I am redeemed My desire has become one with Yours.
- From this day Bhaktivinoda has no other identity.
(5) 1.‘amara’ bolite prabhu! are kichu nai
tumi-i amara matro pita-bandhu-bhai
2.bandhu, dara, suta, suta — taba dasi dasa
sei to’ sambandhe sabe amara prayasa
3.dhana, jana, grha, dara ‘tomara’ boliya
rakha kori ami matro sebaka hoiya
4.tomara karjera tareuparjibo dhana
tomara somsare-byaya koribo bahana
5.bhalo-manda nahi jani seba matro kori
tomara samsare ami bisaya-prahari
6.tomara icchaya mora indriya-calana
srabana, darsana, ghrana, bhojana-basana
7.nija-sukha lagi’ kichu nahi kori ara
bhakativinoda bale, taba suka-sara
- Nothing remains “mine”. Father, friend, brother — You are even these to me.
- Those whom I called friends, wife, sons, and daughters are all Your servants and maidservants.
- Whatever care I take for them is only as it relates to You. If I continue to maintain my wealth, family members, home, and wife, it is because they are Yours.
- I am a mere servant. For Your service I will earn money and bear the expense of Your houselhold.
- I know neither good nor bad. I merely serve. I am but a watchman who guards the properties in Your household.
- The exercising of my senses — hearing, seenig, smelling, tasting, touching — is done according to Your desire.
I no longer do anything for my own pleasure. Bhakativinoda says, “Your happiness is the essence of everything”.
6) 1. bastutoh sakali taba, jiba keho noya
‘aham’ — ‘mama’ — bhrame bhromi’ bhoge soka-bhoy
2.aham-mama-abhimana ei-matro dhana
baddha jiba nija boli’ jane mane mana
3.sei abhimane ami somsare poriya
habudubu khai bhava-sindhu santariya
4.tomara abhaya-pade loiya sarana
aji ami korilama atma-nibedana
5.‘aham’ — ‘mama’-abhimana charilo amaya
ar jeno mama hrde stana nahi paya
6. ei matro balo prabhu! dibe he amare
ahamta-mamata dure pari rakhi bare
7. atma-nibedana-bhava hrde drdha roy
hasti-snana sama jeno khanika na hoy
8. bhakativinoda prabhu nityananda pay
mage parasada, jahe abhimana jay
- In truth, all things belong to You. NO jiva is owner of anything. The tiny soul wanders in this world mistakenly thinking, “I am this transitory body, and everything related to this body is mine.” Thus he suffers sorrow and fear.
- The conditined soul is falsely proud and considers everything attached to the words “I” and “mine” to be his treasures alone.
- Due to that same vanity, I fell into this world. Floundering in the ocean of mundane existence like a drowning man, I suffer the pangs of rising and sinking in that ocean.
- I take shelter at Your lotus feet, which award fearlessness, and dedicate myself to You on this day.
- The vanity of “I” and “mine” has left me now. May it never again find a place within my heart.
- O Lord, please give me this strength, that I may be able to keep the false conceptions of “I” and “Mine” far away.
- May the mood of self-surrender to the Supreme Lord remain firmly fixed in my heart and not prove to be like the momentary cleanliness of an elephant after a bath.
- Bhaktivinoda begs at the lotus feet of Lord Nityananda for the grace which delivers one from all false pride.
1.nibedana kori prabhu! tomara carane
patita adhama ami, jane tri-bhuvane
2.ama-sama papi nahi jagat -bhitore
mama sama aparadhi nahika somsare
3.sei saba papa ara aparadha, ami
parihare pai lajja, saba jano’ tumi
4.tumi bina ka’ra ami loibo saran?
tumi sarbeswareswara, brajendra-nandan!
5.jagat tomara natha! tumi sarba-moy
toma prati aparadha tumi koro’ khoy
6. tumi to’ skhalita-pada janera asroy
tumi bina ara kiba ache, doya-moy!
7.sei-rupa taba aparadhi jana jato
tomara saranagata hoibe satato
8. bhakativinoda ebe loiya saran
tuwa pade kare aj atma-samarpan
- I submit at Your lotus feet, O Lord, that I am fallen and wretched, a fact known to the three worlds.
- There is no sinner more sinful than me. In the entire material creation there is no offender whose offenses equal mine.
- By attempting to clear myself of all these sins and offenses I am put to shame and beg Your forgiveness. All this is understood by You.
- Of whom will I take shelter except for You? O son of the King of Vraja, You are the Lord of all lords.
- This world is Yours, and You pervade all things in it. You forgive the offenses committed against You.
- You alone are the shelter of those who have gone astray. Apart from You, what else exists, O merciful Lord?
- Those like me who have offended You will know no peace until achieving Your shelter.
- Bhaktivinoda takes shelter in You and surrenders himself at Your lotus feet on this very day.
1.atma-nibedana, tuwa-pade kori’
hoinu parama sukhi
duhkha dure gelo, cinta na rohilo,
caudike ananda dekhi
tahate ekhona, bisrama labhiya
charinu bhavera bhoya
3.tomara somsare, koribo sebana,
nahibo falera bhagi
taba sukha jahe, koribo jatana,
ho ‘ye pade anuragi
4.tomara sebaya, duhkha hoya jato,
sei ‘to parama sukha
seba-sukha-duhkha, parama sampada
5.purba itihasa, bhulinu sakala,
seba-sukha pe’ye mane
ami to’tomara, tumi to ‘amara,
ki kaja apare dhane
6.bhakativinoda, anande dubiya,
tomara sebara tare
saba cesta kare, taba iccha-mato,
thakiya tomara ghare
- I have become supremely joyful by surrendering myself at Your holy feet. Unhappiness has gone away, and there are no more anxieties. I see joy in all directions.
- Your two lotus feet are reservoirs of immortal nectar where one may live free from sorrow and fear. I have found peace there now and have given up the fear of worldly existence.
- I shall render service in Your household and not endeavor to enjoy the fruits of that service, but rather I shall strive for whatever pleases You, fully devoted to Your lotus feet.
- Troubles encountered in Your service shall be the cause of great happiness, for in Your devotional service joy and sorrow are equally great riches. Both destroy the misery of ignorance.
- I have completely forgotten all past history by feeling great joy in my mind. I am most certainly Yours, and You are indeed mine. What need is there of any other treasure?
- Bhaktivinoda, diving into the ocean of bliss, devotes all his efforts for Your service and dwells in Your house according to Your wishes.)
Goptritve-varana, acceptance of the Lord as Maintainer, 4 songs
(1) 1.ki jani ki bale, tomara dhamete,
tumi doya-moy, patita-pabana
2. bharasa amara, ei matro natha!
tumi to’ karuna-moya
taba doya-patra, nahi mora sama,
abasya ghucabe bhoya
3.amare tarite, kaharo sakati,
doyala thakura! ghusana tomara,
adhama pamare trahi
4. sakala chariya, asiyachi ami,
tomara carane natha!
ami nitya-dasa, tumi palayita,
tumi gopta, jagannatha!
5. tomara sakala, ami matro dasa,
amara taribe tumi
tomara carana, korinu barana,
amara nahi to’ ami
6.bhakativinoda, kandiya sarana,
lo’yeche tomara paya
khomi’ aparadha, name ruci diya,
palana korohe taya
- How has one such as I come to Your shelter? Surely it is by Your mercy alone, for You are everseeking the purification and deliverance of the fallen souls. You are my only hope, for You are full of compassion and mercy.
- There is no one who needs Your mercy more than I. You will surely drive away all fear.
- No one else has the power to deliver me. O merciful Lord, by Your declaration, kindly deliver this vile and lowly sinner.
- I have given up everything and come to Your lotus feet. I am Your eternal servant, and You are my protector and maintainer, O Lord of the universe!
- Everything is Yours. I am merely a servant, certain that You will deliver me. I have chosen Your lotus feet as my only shelter. I no longer belong to myself.
- Weeping, Bhaktivinoda takes shelter at Your feet. Forgive his offenses, afford him a taste for the holy name, and kindly maintain him.
sarbada bhakula ami chinu mane mane
2.kemone arjibo artha, yasa kise pabo
kanya-putra-vivaha kemone sampadibo
3.ebe atma-samarpane cinta nahi ara
tumi nirbahibe prabhu, somsara tomara
4.tumi to’palibe more nija-dasa jani’
tomar sebaya prabhu baro sukha mani
5.tomara icchaya prabhu saba karja hoy
jiba bale, — ‘kori ami’, se to’ satya noy
6.jiba ki korite nare, tumi na korile?
asa matro jiba kare, taba iccha-fale
7.niscinta hoiya ami sebibo tomaya
grhe bhalo-manda ho’le nahi mora daya
8.bhakativinoda nija-swatantrya tyajiya
tomara carana sebe’ akincana hoiya
- Within my heart I have always been anxious for the maintenance of my wife and children, my own body and relatives.
- How will I earn money? How will I obtain fame? How will I arrange the marriages of my sons and daughter?
- Now, through self-surrender, I have been purged of all anxiety. O Lord, surely You will provide for the maintenace of Your household.
- Surely You will preserve me, knowing me to be Your own servant. O Lord, in Your devotional service I feel great happiness.
- All events take place by Your will, O Lord. The deluded soul of this world declares, “I am the doer,” but this is pure folly. If You do not act first, then what is a tiny soul actually able to do?
- By Your will he can only desire to act, and unless You fulfill his desire, hcannot do anything. I will serve You free from all anxiety, and at home, if any good or evil should occur, it will not be my responsibility.
- Bhaktivinoda thus gives up his independence and engages in the exclusive service of Your lotus feet with no other interest in life.
1.sarbaswa tomar, carane sampiya,
porechi tomara ghare
tumi to’thakur, tomara kukur,
boliya janaho more
2.bandhiya nikate, amare palibe,
rohibo tomara dware
pratipa-janere, asite na dibo
rakhibo garera pare
3.taba nija-jana, prasad sebiya,
ucchista rakhibe jaha
amara bhojan, parama-anande,
prati din habe taha
4.boshiya suiya, tomara carana,
cinitibo satata ami
nacite nacite, nikate jaibo,
jakhona dakibe tumi
5.nijera posan, kabhu na bhavibo
rohibo bhavera bhore
bhakativinoda, tomare palaka,
boliya barana kare
- Now that I have surrendered all I possess, I fall prostrate before Your house. You are the Supreme Lord. Kindly consider me Your household dog.
- Chain me nearby and maintain me as You will. I shall remain at the doorstep and allow no enemies to enter Your house. I will keep them at the bounds of the moat surrounding Your home.
- Whatever remnants Your devotees leave behind after honoring Your prasada will be my daily sustenance. I will feast on those remnants with great ecstasy.
- While sitting up, while lying down, I will constantly meditate on Your lotus feet. Whenever You call, I will immediately run to You and dance in rapture.
- I will never think of my own maintenance but rather remain transported by a multitude of ecstasies. Bhaktivinoda accepts You as his only support.
tumi sarbeswareswara brajendra-kumara!
tomara icchaya biswe srjana samhara
taba iccha-mato brahma karena srjana
taba iccha-mato visnu karena palana
taba iccha-mate siba karena samhara
taba iccha-mate maya srje karagara
taba iccha-mate jiber janama-marana
samriddhi-nipate duhkha sukha-samghatana
miche maya-baddha jiba asa-pase fire
taba iccha bina kichu korite na pare
tumi to’ rakhaka ar palaka amara
tomara carana bina asa nahi ara
nija-bala-cesta-prati bharasa chariya
tomara icchay achi nirghara koriya
bhakativinoda ati dina akincana
tomara icchay ta’ra jibana marana
O youthful son of the King of Vraja, You are Lord of all. Creation and destruction take place in the universe according to Your will.
According to Your will Lord Brahma creates, and in accordance with Your will Lord Visnu maintains.
Lord Siva destroys in similar obedience to You, and by Your wish maya constructs the prison house of this world.
By Your will the living beings take birth and die, and by Your will they meet with prosperity and ruin, happiness and sorrow.
The tiny soul bound up by maya vainly struggles in the fetters of worldly desire. Without Your sanction he is unable to do anything.
You are my protector and maintainerl Without Your lotus feet there is no hope for me.
No longer confident of my own strength and endeavor, I depend solely on Your will.
Bhaktivinoda is most poor, and his pride has been leveled. Now he lives or dies, as You wish.
(Avasya Raksibe Krsna — Viswasa Palana, faith in Krsna as protector, 4 songs)
(1) ekhona bujhinu prabhu! tomara carana
sakala chariya tuwa carana-kamale
poriyachi ami natha! taba pada-tale
taba pada-padma nath! rokhibe amare
ar rakha-karta nahi e bhava-somsare
ami taba nitya-dasa — janinu e-bara
amara palana-bhar ekhonu tomara
bara duhkha paiyachi swatantra jibane
saba duhkha dure gelo o pada-barane
je-pada lagiya rama tapasya korila
je-pada padiya siba sibatwa lobhila
je-pada lobhiya brahma krtartha hoila
je-pada narada muni hrdoye dhorila
sei se abhaya pada sirete dhoriya
parama-anande naci pada-guna gaiya
somsara-vipad ho’te abasya uddhara
bhakativinoda, o pada koribe tomara
I know now Your divine feet are a refuge free from all sorrow and fear, eternally full of sweet nectar.
At the soles of those lotus feet I surrender myself and all I possess.
O Lord, there is no other protection but You in this world of birth and death.
At last I know myself to be Your eternal servant, whose maintenance You have assured.
Life before, without You, held nothing but sorrow. Now I live free from all misery
Laksmi, desiring such a place at Your lotus feet, excuted austerities. Only after secureing a place by Your lotus feet did Lord Siva attain his sivatva, or quality of auspiciousness.
Upon obtaining those feet Lord Brahma became successful in life, and the great sage Narada Muni held those two feet to his heart.
Your lotus feet drive away all fear. Having held them to my head, I dance in great ecstasy, singing their glories.
Your lotus feet will deliver Bhaktivinoda from the perils of worldly journey.
1.tumi to’ maribe jare, ke tare rakhite pare,
taba iccha-basa tribhuvana
brahma-adi deba-gan, taba dasa aganan,
kare taba ajnara palana
2.taba iccha-mate jato, graha-gana abirato,
subhasubha fala kare dana
roga-soka-mrti-bhoy, taba iccha-mate hoy,
taba ajna sada balavan
3.taba bhoye bhayu boy, candra surja samuday,
swa-swa niyamita karja kare
tumi to’ parameswar, para-brahma paratpar,
taba basa bhakata-antare
4.sada-suddha siddha-kama, ‘bhakata-vatsala’ nama,
tumi to’rakhibe jare, ke tare marite pare,
sakala bidhira bidhi tumi
5.tomara carane natha! koriyache pranipata,
bhakativinoda taba das
bipad hoite swami! abasya tahare tumi
rokhibe, — tahara e viswas
- Who can protect that person whom You wish to slay? The three worlds are obedient to Your will. The gods, headed by Brahma, are Your countless servants and stand ready to execute Your command,
- By Your will the planets exercise their auspicious or inauspicious influences. Illness, grief, death, and fear occur by Your will. Your command is all-powerful.In fear of You the wind blows, and the sun, moon, and all others perform their allotted duties.
- You are the Supreme Lord, the Supreme Spirit, supreme above all. Your residence is in the heart of Your loving devotee. You are eternally pure. All Your desires are fulfilled.
- Your name is Bhakta-vatsala, for You are very affectionate to the Vaisnavas. You are the eternal Lord of Your loving devotees. Who can slay that person whom You wish to protect? You are the law of all laws.
- O Lord, Your eternal servant Bhaktivinoda has bowed down at Your lotus feet. O master, he cherishes the faith that You will surely protect him from all dangers.
(3) atma-samarpane gela abhiman
nahi korobun nija rakha-bidahan
tuwa dhana jani’ tuhun rakhobi, nath’
palya godhana jnana kori’ tuwa sath
caraobi madhaba! jamuna-tire
bamsi bajaoto dakobi dhire
agha-baka marato rakha-bidhan
korobi sada tuhun gokula-kan!
rakha korobi tuhun niscoy jani
pana korobun hama jamuna-pani
kaliya-dokha korobi binasa
sodhobi nadi-jala, baraobi asa
piyato dabanala raknobi mo’y
‘gopala’, ‘gobinda’ nama taba hoy
rakhobi barsane, giri bara-dhari!
catur-anana korabo jab cori
rakha koro- i mujhe, gokula-hari!
bhakativinoda — tuwa gokula-dhan
rakhobi kesava! korato jatan
Surrendering to You lifted from me the burden of false pride. No longer will I try to secure my own well-being.
O Lord, I am confident of Your protection, for, like one of Your cows or calves, I am Your treasured property.
O Madhava, I see You leading Your herds to pasture on the banks of the Yamuna. You call to them by gently playing Your flute.
By slaying giant demons such as Agha and Baka You will always provide full protection, O Gokula Kana!
Fearless and confident of Your protection, I will drink the water of the Yamuna.
The Kaliya serpent’s venom poisoned the Yamuna’s waters, yet that poison will not act. You will purify the Yamuna and by such heroic deeds enhance our faith.
You who are called Govinda and Gopala will surely protect me by swallowing the forest fire.
When Indra, king of the gods, sends torrents of rain, You will counteract his malice and protect us by lifting the mighty Govardhana Hill!
When the four-headed Brahma steals Your cowherd boyfriends and calves, then, too, You will surely protect me, O Gokula Hari!
Bhakativinoda is now the property of Gokula, Your holy abode, O Kesava, kindly protect him with care.
(4) chorato purusa-abhiman
kinkori hoilun aji, kan!
sebana korobun, radha-nath!
kusume ganthobun har
jatane deobun sakhi-kare
hate laobo sakhi adare
sakhi dibo tuwa duhuk gale
durato herobun kutuhale
sakhi kahabo, — suno sundari!
rahobi kunje mama kinkori
ganthobi mala mano-harini
tuwa rakhana-bhara hamara
mama kunja-kutira tohara
rahobi moe hamara antarale
tambula saji’ karbura ani’
deobi moe apana jani’
bhakativinoda suni’ bat
sakhi-pade kare pranipat
Gone is the variety of male egoism, O Kana. Now I am Your faithful maidservant.
O Lord of Radha, in the groves of Vraja I will perform devotional service as a follower of one of the sakhis.
I will string together a necklace of forest flowers, and tulasi buds shall be the jewels of that necklace.
With utmost care I will place the garland in the hands of that confidential devotee, and she will take it with affection.
Then she will place the garland around both Your necks, while I watch in wonder from afar.
The confidant will then say to me, “Listen, O beautiful one, you should remain in this grove as my attendant.
“Daily you shall string together beautiful flower garlands that will enchant Radha and Krsna.
“The responsibility for your maintenance shall be mine. My cottage in the grove is yours.
When I serve Radha and Madhava, you will attend behind me. After preparing tambula and bringing camphor, you will give them to me, knowing me to be yours.”
Bhaktivinoda, having heard all these instructions, bows down at the lotus feet of that confidential sakhi.
(Bhakti-anukula-matra Karyera Svikara, acceptance of activities favorable to pure devotion, 4 songs)
1.)tuva-bhakti-anukula je-je karja joy
parama-jatane taha koribo niscoy
I will surely execute with utmost care those activities favorable to Your pure devotional service.
bhakti-anukula jato bisaya somsare
koribo tahate rati indriyera dware
I will feel fondness for those things in this world which are conductive to pure devotion, and with my senses I will engage them in Your service.
sunibo tomara katha jatana koriya
dekhibo tomara dhama nayana bhoriya
I will carefully listen to all discussions concerning You, and the satisfaction of my eyes will be to behold Your divine abode.
4)tomara prasade deho koribo posan
naibedya-tulasi-ghrana koribo grahan
I will nourish my body with the sacred remnants of Your food and smell the sweet scent of tulasi leaves adorning those offerings.
5kara-dwara koribo tomara seba sada
tomara basoti-sthale boshibo sarbada
With my hands I will always execute Your service, and I will forever dwell at that place where You abide.
6)tomara sebaya kama niyoga koribo
tomara bidvesi-jane krodha dekhaibo
I will employ my desires in Your devotional service and show anger to those who are envious of You.
7) ei-rupe sarba-brtti ara sarba-bhav
tuwa anukula hoye labhuka prabhav
In this way may all of my propensities and emotions obtain dignity and glory by being favorable to You.
8) tuwa bhakta-anukula jaha jaha kori
tuwa bhakti-anukula boli’ taha dhori
I will consider as favorable to Your devotional service anything I do which is favorable to Your devotee.
9)bhakativinoda nahi jane dharmadharma
bhakti-anukula tara hau saba karma
Bhaktivinoda knows neither religion nor irreligion. He simply prays that all his activities be conductive for pure devotion to You.
(2) 1. godruma-dhame bhajana-anukule
tahi maha surabhi-kunja-kutire
baithobun hama sura-tatini-tire
4. campaka, bakula, kadamba, tamal
ropato niramibo kunja bisal
5. madhabi malati uthabun tahe
chaya-mandapa korobun tahi mahe
6. ropobun tatra kusuma-bana-raji
juthi, jati, malli birajabo saji
mance boshaobun tulasi-maharani
kirtana-sajja tahi rakhabo ani
baisnaba-jana-saha gaobun nam
jaya godruma jaya gaura ki dham
jaya kunja munja, sura-nadi-kul
1-2) On the banks of the celestial Ganges River I will dwell in a cottage at Surabhi-kunj in Godruma-dhama. This land of Godruma is very conductive for performing devotional worship of the Supreme Lord and is nondifferent from the sacred place called Nandagram, located in the holy district of Mathura.
3-4) I will put on the garb that is dear to the devotees of Lord Gaurasundara and wear the twelve Vaisnava tilaka markings on my body and beautiful beads of tulasi wood around my neck. Then, by planting flowering trees like Campaka, Bakula, Kadamba, and Tamala, I will make an extensive grove by my cottage. I will put madhavi and malati creepers on the trees and in this way make a shady bower.
I will sow a variety of flowering forests and different kinds of jasmine like yuthi, jati and malli. All these will be present there, arrayed in a charming fashion.
I will install the empress tulasi on an elevated throne on the terrace, then procure all necessary paraphernalia for having kirtana, such as mrdanga drums, karatalas (hand cymbals), and gongs, and place them there.
(3) 1.suddha-bhakata- carana-renu
jatane palana kori
krsna-basoti basoti boli
parama adare bori
gaur amara, je-saba sthane,
koralo bhramana range
se-saba sthana, heribo ami,
mrdanga-badya, sunite mana,
abasara saba jace
gaura-bihita, kirtana suni,
anande hrdoya nace
jugala-murti, dekhiya mora,
prasada-seba korite hoya
sakala prapance jaya
je-dina grhe, bhajana dekhi,
grhete goloka bhaya
carana-sindu, dekhiya ganga,
sukha na sima paya
tulasi dekhi, juraya prana
jibana sarthaka mani
anukula paya jaha
swikara karaye taha
Dust from the lotus feet of pure devotees is conductive to devotional service, whilee service to the Vaisnavas is itself the supreme perfection and the root o the tender creeper of divine love.
I observe with great care the holy days like Ekadasi and Janmastami, for they are the mother of devotion. As my dwelling place I choose with the greatest of reverence and love the transcendental abode of Sri Krsna.
All those places where my Lord Gaurasundara traveled for pastimes I will visit in the company of loving devotees.
My mind always begs for the opportunity to hear the music of the mrdanga. Upon hearing the kind of kirtana ordained by Lord Gaurasundara, my heart dances in ecstasy.
Beholding the Deity forms of the Divine Couple, Sri Sri Radha-Krsna, I feel the greatest joy. By honoring the Lord’s prasada, I conquer over all worldly illusions.
Goloka Vrndavana appears in my home whenever I see the worship and servicee of Lord Hari taking place there. When I see the Ganges, that river of nectar emanating from the lotus feet of the Lord, my happiness knows no bounds.
The sight of the holy tulasi tree soothes my soul, for I know she gives pleasure to Lord Krsna. By honoring sak, a great favorite of Lord Caitanya’s, I consider life worthwhile.
Whatever Bhaktivinoda obrains that is conducive for the service of Sri Krsna he accepts every day with greatest joy.
(4) 1. radha-kunda-tata-kunja-kutir
bamsi-bata, gokula, dhira-samir
mayura, bhramara, murali-bilas
benu, srnga, pada-cihna, megha-mala
basanta, sasanka, sankha, karatala
jugala-bilase anukula jani
e-saba chorato kanhi nahi jau
e-saba chorato parana harau
bhakativinoda kahe, suno kan!
tuwa uddipaka, hamara paran
1-6) The cottage in the grove on the banks of Radha-kunda, the great Govardhana Hill, the banks of the Yamuna, Kusuma-sarovara, Manasa-ganga, the daughter of Kalinda (the Yamuna) with her many waves, the Vamsi-vat, Gokula, Dhira-samira, the trees and creepers and reeds of Vrdavana, the different varieties of colorful birds, the deer, the cooling breeze from the Malaya Mountains, the peacocks, the bumblebees, the pastimes with the flute, the flute itself, the buffalo horn bugle, the footprints of cows in the dust of Vraja, the rows of blackish rainclouds, springtime, the moon, the conchsell, and the karatalas – all these I know to be very conductive for the pastimes of Radha and Krsna. I recognize in them a transcendental stimulus for making the Lord’s charming pastimes more intense.
I refuse to go anywhere if there stimuli to devotional service are not there, for to abandon them is to abandon life itself.
Bhaktivinoda says, “Please hear me, O Kana! Your entourage and paraphernalia stimulate remembrance of You and are the very sourcee of my life.”
Bhakti-pratikula-bhava Varjanangikara, renunciation of conduct averse to pure devotion, 4 songs
1.kesaba! tuwa jagata bicitra
karama-vipake, bhava-bana bhrama-i
pekhalun ranga bahu citra
2.tuwa pada-bismriti, a-mara jantrana,
klesa-dahane dohi’ jai
kapila, patanjali, gautama, kanabhoji,
jaimini, bauddha aowe dhai’
3.sab koi nija-mate, bhukti, mukti jacato,
pata-i nana-bidha fand
so-sabu — bancaka, tuwa bhakti bahir-mukha,
ghataowe bisama paramada
4.baimukha-bancane, bhata so-sabu,
niramilo vividha pasara
dandabata durato, bhakativinoda bhelo,
bhakata-carana kori sara
- This material creation of Yours, O Kesava, is most strange. I have roamed throughout the forest of this universe in consequence of my selfish acts, and I have beheld many strange and curious sights.
- Forgetfulness of Your lotus feet has brought on anguish and grief. As I burn in this fire of misery, my would-be saviors — Kapila, Gautama, Kanada, Jaimini, and Buddha — come running to my aid.
- Each expounds his particular view, dangling various pleasures and liberation as bait in their philosophical traps. They are all cheaters, averse to Your devotional service and thus fatally dangerous.
- They are magnates of karma, jnana, and yoga who specialize in opinions and proofs for cheating the materially inclined. Bhaktivinoda, considering refuge at the feet of the Vaisnavas as essential, pays his respects to these cheating philosophers from afar.
(2) 1.tuwa-bhakti-pratikula dharma ja’te roy
parama jatane taha tyaji o niscoy
2.tuwa-bhakti-bahir-mukha sanga na koribo
gauranga-birodhi-jana-mukha na heribo
3.bhakti-pratikula sthane na kori basati
bhaktir apriya karje nahi kori rati
4.bhaktira birodhi grantha patha na koribo
bhaktira birodhi byakhya kabhu na sunibo
5.gauranga-barjita sthana tirtha nahi mani
bhaktira badhaka jnana-karma tuccha jani
6.bhaktira badhaka kale na kori adar
bhakti bahir-mukha nija-jane jani para
7.bhaktira badhika spriha koribo barjan
abhakta-pradatta anna na kori grahan
8.jaha kichu bhakti-pratikula boli’jani
tyajibo jatane taha, e niscoya bani
9.bhakativinoda pori prabhura carane
magaye sakati pratikulyera barjane
- I vow to abandon without compromise all actions contrary to Your devotional service.
- I will keep company with no one opposed to devotional service, nor even look at the face of a person inimical toward Lord Gauranga.
- I shall never reside at a place unfavorable for devotional practices, and may I never take pleasure in nondevotional works.
- I will read no book opposed to pure devotion, nor listen to any explanation which disagrees with pure devotional principles.
- I will never regard as sacred any place where Lord Gauranga is rejected. Any knowledge hindering pure devotional service I consider worthless.
- Any season which poses obstacles to the execution of devotional service shall find no favor with me, and I will consider all relatives or family members averse to pure devotion as strangers.
- I will abandon all desires that hinder devotion and never accept food offered to me by nondevotee atheists.
- I vow to promptly shun whatever I know to contradict pure devotion. This I strongly promise.
- Bhaktivinoda, falling at the feet of the Lord, begs for the strength to give up all obstacles to pure devotion.
1.bisaya-bimudha ar mayabadi jan
bhakti-sunya dunhe prana dhare akaran
2.ei dui-sanga natha! na hoy amar
prarthana koriye ami carane tomar
3.se duwera madhye bisayi tabu bhalo
mayabadi-sanga nahi magi kono kalo
4.bisayi-hrdoya jabe sadhu-sanga pay
abayase labhe bhakti bhaktera krpay
5.mayabada-dosa ja’ra hrdoye posilo
kutarke hrdoya ta’ra bajra-sama bhelo
6.bhaktira swarupa, ara ‘bisaya’, ‘asroy’
mayabadi ‘anitya’boliya saba koy
7.dhik ta’ra krsna-seba-srabana-kirtan
krsna-ange bajra hane tahara staban
8.mayabada sama bhakti-pratikula nai
ataeba mayabadi-sanga nahi cai
9.bhakativinoda mayabada dura kori’
baisnaba sangete boishe namasraya dhori’
- Both the monist philosophers and those bewildered by worldly affairs live in vain, for both are devoid of devotion to You.
- I pray at Your lotus feet, O Lord, that I may be spared the company of them both.
- Yet of the two the worldly man is better. I ask never to have the company of mayavadi.
- When the worldly man enters into the company of saintly persons within his heart he becomes inspiried by pure devotion through the mercy of those devotees.
- But woe to him who has known the offensive presence of impersonalist philosophy. Such sophistry makes the heart hard as a thunderbold.
- The mayavada philosopher declares that the true form of bhakti, its object (Sri Krishna), and its possessor (the devotee) are all transitory and thus illusory.
- Fie on his pretense of service to Krishna, of hearing and chanting His glories! His so-called prayers strike the body of Krishna with blows more cruel that a thunderbolt.
- There is no philosophy as antagonistic to devotional service as mayavada philosophy. Therefore I do not desire the association of the mayavadi.
Bhaktivinoda drives away the philosophy of illusionism and sits safely in the society of Vaisnavas under the shelter of the holy name.
1.ami to’ swananda-sukhada-basi
2.dunhara milane ananda kori
dunhara biyoge duhkhete mari
3.sakhi-sthali nahi heri nayane
dekhile saibyeke paraye mane
4.je-je pratikula candrera sakhi
prane duhkha pai tahare dekhi
5.radhika-kunja andhara kori
loite cahe se radhara hari
pratikula-jana na heri mukha
7.radha-pratikula jateka jan —
sambhasane kabhu na hoiye man
sanpeche parana ati ba jatane
- I am a resident of Svananda-sukhada-kunja and a maidservant of the lotus feet of Radhika and Madhava.
- At the union of the Divine Couple I rejoice, and in Their separation I die in anguish.
- I never look at the place where Candravali and her friends stay. Whenever I see such a place it reminds me of Candravali’s gopi friend, Saibya.
- I feel pain in my heart when I catch sight of Candravali’s girl-friends, for they are opposed to Radha.
- Candravali wants to take away Radha’s Lord Hari, thus covering the grove of Radhika with the darkness of gloom.
- I never look at the faces of those who are opposed to Sri Radha and Govindas joyous union.
- Nor do I find any pleasure in conversing with those who are opposed to Radha.
- Bhaktivinoda has enthusiastically entrusted his soul to the lotus feet of Srimati Radharani.
Bhajana-lalasa, hankering for divine service, 13 songs
prapance poriya, agati hoiya,
na dekhi upaya ara
agatira gati carane sarana
tomaya korinu sara
2.karama geyana, kichu nahi mora,
sadhana bhajana nai
tumi krpa-moya, ami to kangala,
ahaituki krpa cai
miliya e saba, somsare bhasa’ye
4.aneka jatane, se saba damane,
chariyachi asa ami
anathera natha! daki taba nama
ekhona bharasa tumi
- O Lord Hari, having fallen helplessly into the illusion of this world, I see no other means of deliverance but You. You are the only recourse for the helpless. I accept the shelter of Your lotus feet as essential.
- I have no knowledge, no background of pious activities, nor any history of strict devotional practice. But You are full of compassion and kindness. Therefore, although I am certainly destitute, I solicit Your causeless mercy.
- The powerful urges of speech, mind, anger, tongue, belly, and genital have banded together to cast me adrift on the sea of this material world, thus causing me great anxiety and trouble.
- After great endeavor to subdue these material demands, I have completely given up all hope. O Lord of the destitute, I call upon Your holy name, for now You are my only shelter.
arthera sancaye, bisaya-prayase
ano-adhikara, niyama agrahe,
asthira siddhante, rohinu mojiya,
hari-bhakti roilo dure
e hrdoye matro, para-hamsa, mada,
pratistha, sathata sphure
3.e saba agraha, charite narinu,
apama dosate mori
janama bifala, hoilo amara
ekhona ki kori, hari!
4.ami to’ patita, patita-pabana,
tomara pabitra nama
se sambandha dhori, tomara carane,
sarana loinu hama
- O Lord Hari, I have become absorbed in accumulating wealth and endeavoring for material possessions. I am addicted to speaking of topics apart from You and am always eager to accept practices apart from my own duties. I am in the habit of meeting with worldly men and am absorbed in speculative thinking.
- Therefore, devotion to You has remained distant from me. In this heart of mine dwells only envy and malice towards others false pride, hippocrisy, deceitfulness, and the desire for fame and honor.I have not been able to give up any of these attachments.
- Thus my own faults have been my down fall. My birth as a human being has been wasted. O Lord Hari, what am I to do now?
- I am indeed fallen; but Your holy name is the savior of the fallen. Clinging to that holy name, I have taken shelter at Your lotus feet.
bhajane utsaha, bhaktite biswasa,
bhakti-sadacara, ei choya guna,
nahilo amara natha!
kemone bhojibo, tomara carana,
chariya mayara satha
3.garhita acare, rohilama moji’,
na korinu sadhu-sanga
lo’ye sadhu-besa, ane upadesi,
e boro mayara ranga
4.e heno dasaya, ahaituki krpa,
tomara paibo, hari!
sri-guru-asroye, dakibo tomaya,
kabe ba minati kori’
- Enthusiasm in devotional service, faith in the process of devotional service, the treasure of patience in endeavoring to attain love of God, performing activities conducive to pure devotion, abandoning the company of worldly people, performing approved devotional practices — I have never possessed these six devotional qualities. How, then, shall I give up the association of maya and worship Your lotus feet, O Lord?
- Absorbed in abominable activities, I never kept company with sadhus. Now I adopt the garb of the sadhus and instruct others. This is maya’s big joke.
- O Lord Hari, in such a helpless condition surely I will obtain Your causeless mercy.
O when, under the shelter of my spiritual master, will I call out to You with humble prayers?
dana, pratigraha, mitho gupta-katha,
sangera lakhana,ei choyahoya,
ihate bhaktira prana
2.tattwa na buhjiye, jnane ba ajnane,
asate e saba kori
bhakti harainu, somsari hoinu,
sudure rohile hari
3.krsna-bhakta-jane, ei sanga-lakhane,
adara koribo jabe
bhakti-maha-devi, amara hrdoya-
asane boshibe tabe
4.josit-sangi-jana, krsnabhakta ara,
taba bhakta-jana- sanga anukhana,
kabe ba hoibe hari!
- O Lord Hari, to offer a gift and receive one in return, to give and receive spiritual food, to reveal one’s confidential thoughts and make confidential inquiries these are the six characteristics of loving association, and in them is found the very soul of devotion.
- I have failed to understand the Absolute Truth, and by practicing these six activities with nondevotees, either knowingly or unknowingly, I have lost all devotion. Thus I have become a materialist. For me, You, O Lord, remain afar.
- The day I cherish these activities of intimate association with the devotees of Sri Krsna, that day the great goddess of devotion will ascend the throne of my heart.
- When will I give up the company of those who are addicted to women and those who are not devoted to You? When will I get the constant association of Your devotees, O Lord?
(5) 1.Hari he!
jadi taba nama ga’ya
manase adara, koribo tahare,
jani’ nija-jana taya
2.diksita hoiya, bhaje tuwa pada,
tahare pranati kori
ananya-bhajane, bijna jei jane,
tahare sebibo, hari!
3.Sarba-bhute sama, je bhaktera mati,
tahara darsane mani
apanake dhanya, se sanga paiya,
caritartha hoilun jani
4.niskapata-mati baisnabera proti,
ei dharma kabe pa’bo
kabe e somsara- sindhu-para hoiye
taba braja-pure ja’bo
- O Lord, I will mentally honor and consider as my brother one who avoids bad company and sings Your holy name, be he formally initiated or not.
- I offer obeisances to that person who is initiated and worships Your lotus feet, and I will serve, O Lord, anyone who is fixed in unalloyed devotion to You.
- I consider myself greatly fortunate to even see that devotee who looks upon all living beings equally. By obtaining his association I know that I become successful in life.
- When will my mind become simple and inoffensive toward the Vaisnavas, and when will I cross over the ocean of worldly existence to reach Your abode of Vraja?
panka-fena drsta hoya
tathapi kakhona, brahma-draba-dharma,
se salila na charoya
2.baisnaba-sarira, aprakrta sada,
kabhu nahe jada, tathapi je ninde,
pare se bisamadharme
3.sei aparadhe, jamera jatana,
paya jiba abirata
he nanda-nandana! sei aparadhe,
heno jeno nahi hata
4.tomara baisnaba, baibhava tomara,
amare koruna doya
tabe mora gati, tomarera prati
ha-i’be taba pada-chaya
- Mud and foam are seen in the waters of the Ganges, for that is the inherent nature of river water. Yet Ganges water never loses its transcendental nature.
- One may likewise find defects in the body of a Vaisnava, yet his body is always spiritual, never material. That person who criticizes the body of a Vaisnava falls into deadly irreligion.
- For such an offense, the fallen soul continuously suffers the tortures of Yamaraja, lord of death. O youthful son of Nanda, I pray that I not be destroyed by committing such an offense.
- The Vaisnava is Yours, and he is Your glory. May he be merciful to me. Then my life’s journey will lead to You, and I will obtain shelter in the shade of Your lotus feet.
vaisnaba thakura, doyara sagara,
e dase koruna kori'
diya pada-chaya, sodho he amaya,
tomara carana dhori
chaya bega domi, chaya dosa sodhi
chaya guna deho' dase
chaya sat-sanga, deho' he amare,
boshechi sangera ase
ekaki amara, nahi paya bala,
tumi krpa kori: sraddha-bindu diya,
krsna se tomara, krsna dite paro,
tomara sakati ache
ami to' kangala, 'krsna 'krsna 'boli',
dhai tava pache pache
O venerable Vaisnava. O ocean of mercy, be merciful unto your servant. Give me the shade of your lotus feet and purify me. I hold on to your lotus feet.
Teach me to control my six passions; rectify my six faults, bestow upon me the six qualities, and offer unto me the six kinds of holy association.*
I do not find the strength to carry on alone the sankirtana of the holy name of Hari. Please bless me by giving me just one drop of faith with which to obtain the great treasure of the holy name of Krsna.
Krsna is yours; you have the power to give Him to me. I am simply running behind you shouting, "Krsna! Krsna!"
(8) 1.Hare he
tomare bhuliya, abidya-piraya,
pirita rasana mora
krsna-nama-sudha, bhalo nahi lage,
2.proti-dina jodi, adara koriya,
se nama kirtana kori
sitapala jeno, nasi roga-mula
krame swadu hoya, hari!
3.durdaiba amara, se name adara,
na loilo, doyamoya!
dasa aparadha, amara durdaiba,
kemone hoibe khoya
anudina jeno, taba nama gai,
kramete krpaya taba
aparadha ja’be name ruci ha’be
- O Lord Hari, because I forgot You my tongue has become afflicted with the disease of ignorance. I cannot relish the nectar of Your holy name, for I have become addicted to the taste of worldly pleasures.
- O Lord Hari, if I sing Your holy name aloud every day with great respect, then as sugar candy taken medicinally destroys the very disease which makes it taste bitter (jaundice), so Your holy name will cure my spiritual disease and allow me to gradually taste His sweetness.
- O merciful Lord, how great is my misfortune that I feel no appreciation for Your holy name! In such a lamentable state, how will I be freed from committing the ten offenses to the holy name? If I sing Your holy name every day, by Your mercy the ten offenses will gradually disappear. A taste for Your holy name will grow within me, and then I will taste the intoxicating spirit of the name.
sikha dila mora kane
jano mora katha, namera kangala!
rati pa’be name-gane
2.krsna-nama-rupa guna -sucarita,
parama jatane kori’
rasana-manase, koraho niyoga,
3.braje kori’basa, raganuga hoiya,
smarana kirtana koro
e nikhila kala, koraho japana,
4.ha rupa-gosai, doya kori’kabe,
dibe dine braja-basa
ragatmika tumi, taba padanuga,
hoite dasera asa
- O Lord Hari, Sri Rupa Gosvami, in the form of the spiritual master, gave these instructions to my ears: “Try to understand my words, O you who begs for the gift of the holy name, for by these instructions you will develop attraction for chanting the holy name.
- “Follow the scriptural rules and regulations and engage your tongue and mind in carefully chanting and remembering the holy names, divine forms, qualities, and wonderful pastimes of Lord Krishna.
- “Dwell in the holy land of Vraja, cultivate spontaneous loving devotion (raganuga-bhakti), and spend your every moment chanting and remembering the glories of Sri Hari. Just accept these as the essence of all instructions”.
- O Rupa Gosvami, when out of your causeless mercy, will you enable this poor wretched soul to reside in Vrndavana? You are a ragatmika devotee, an eternally liberated, intimate associate of Radha and Krsna. This humble servant of yours desires to become a follower at your lotus feet.
1.gurudev! boro krpa kori’, gauda-bana majhe,
godrume diyacho sthana
ajna dila more, ei braje boshi’,
hari-nama koro gana
2. kintu kabe prabhu, jogyata arpibe,
e dasere doya kori’
citta sthira habe, sakala sohibo,
ekante bhojibo hari
abhyasa hoilo manda
nija-karma-dose, e deho hoilo
4.bardhakye ekhona, panca-roge hata,
kemone bhojibo bolo;
kandiya kandiya, tomara carane,
- Gurudeva! Because you are so merciful, you gave me a place in Godruma amid the woodlands of Gauda, with this order to fulfill: “Dwell here in this Vrndavana and sing the holy name of Hari.”
- But when, O master, out of your great mercy, will you bestow upon this servant of yours the spiritual competence to fulfill that order? When will my mind become tranquil and fixed? When will I endure all hardships and serve Lord Hari without distractions?
- Due to attachment to worldly pleasures in childhood and youth, I have developed bad habits. Because of these sinful acts my body has become an impediment to the service of the Supreme Lord.
- Now, in old age, afflicted by the five-fold illnesses, how will I serve the Lord? O master, please tell me. I have fallen at your feet weeping, overwhelmed by anxiety.
krpa-bindu diya, koro'ei dase,
trnapekha ati hina
sakala sahane, bala diya koro',
sakale sammana korite sakati
deho' natha! jathajatha
tabe to' gaibo, hari-nama-sukhe
aparadha ha'be hata
kabe heno krpa, labhiya e jana,
krtartha hoibe, natha!
sakti-buddhi-hina, ami ati dina,
koro' more atma-satha
jogyata-vicare, kichu nahi pai,
tomara karuna – sara
karuna na hoile, kandiya kandiya,
prana na rakhibo ara
Gurudeva, give to this servant just one drop of mercy. I am lower than a blade of grass. Give me all help. Give me strength. Let me be as you are, without desires or aspirations.
I offer you all respects, for thus I may have the energy to know you correctly. Then, by chanting the holy name in great ecstasy, all my offenses will cease.
When will such mercy fall to this one who is weak and devoid of intelligence? Allow me to be with you.
If you examine me, you will find no qualities. Your mercy is all that I am made of. If you are not merciful unto me, I can only weep, and I will not be able to maintain my life.
kabe mora sei din ha’be
mana sthira kori’, nirjana boshiya,
krsna-nama ga’bo jabe
somsara-fukara, kane na posibe,
deho-roga dure ro’be
2.hare krsna’ boli, gahite gahite,
nayane bohibe lora
dehite pulaka, udita hoibe,
premete koriba bhora
3.gada-gada bani, mukhe bahiribe,
kanpibe sarira mama
gharma muhur muhuh, birbarna hoibe,
stambhita pralaya sama
4.niskapate heno, dasa kabe ha’be,
nirantara nama ga’bo
abese rohiya, deha-jyatra kori,
tomara karuna pa’bo
- Gurudeva! When, with a steady mind in a secluded place, will I sing the name of Sri Krsna? When will the pandemonioum of worldly existence no longer echo in my ears and the diseases of the body remain far away? When will that day be mine?
- When I chant “Hare Krsna”, tears of love will flow from my eyes and ecstatic rapture will arise within my body, causing my hair to stand on end and my body to become overwhelmed with divine love.
- Faltering words choked with emotion will issue from my mouth. My body will tremble, constantly perspire, turn pale and discolored, and become stunned. All of this will be like a devastation of ecstatic love and cause me to fall unconscious.
- When will such a genuine ecstatic condition be mine? I will constantly sing the holy name and remain absorbed in profound devotion while maitaining the material body. In this way I will abtain your mercy.
kabe taba karuna-prakase
sri-gauranga-lila, hoya nitya-tattwa,
ei drdha biswase
hari hari boli, godruma kanane,
2.nitai, gauranga adwaita, srivasa,
gadadhara — panca-jana
krsna-nama rase, bhasaibe jagat,
dekhiya dekhiya, se lila-madhuri,
bhasibo premera bane
4.na dekhi’ abara, se lila-ratana,
kandi ha gauranga! boli’
amare bisayi pagala boliya,
angete dibeka dhuli
- Gurudeva! Lord Gauranga’s transcendental pastimes are eternal realities. I await the day when, with this firm faith manifested by your mercy, I will wander through the groves of Godruma, chanting “Hari! Hari!” and hoping to behold those pastimes.
- The Panca-tattva — Nitai, Gauranga, Advaita, sSrivasa and Gadadhara — will flood the entire universe with the intoxiacting nectar of the holy name of Sri Krsna by performing a maha-sankirtana.
- In my ears I will hear the sounds of dancing and the playing of the mrdangas. By constantly beholding the sweetness and beauty of that pastime of Lord Gauranga’s, I will swim in the flood tide of divine love.
- Materialists will throw dirt at my body and proclaim me thoroughly mad. For being again bereft of seeing the jewel of that pastime, I shall weep and cry out, “O my Lord Gauranga!”
Siddhi-lalasa, hankering for spiritual perfection, 3 songs
(1) kabe gaura-bane, suradhuni-tate
‘ha radhe ha krsna’ bole’
kandiya bera’bo, deho-sukhachari’,
nana lata-taru tale
sva-paca-grhete, magiya khaibo,
puline puline, gara-gari dibo,
dhama-basi jane, pranati koriya,
magibo krpara lesa
baisnaba-carana-renu gaya makhi’
gauda-braja-jane, bheda na dekhibo,
dhamera swarupa, sphuribe nayane,
hoibo radhara dasi
When will I wander weeping under the shade of various trees and creepers on th banks of Ganges in the land of Navadvipa, crying, “O Radha! O Krsna!” and forgetting all physical comforts?
I will even take my meals by begging at the homes of the candalas and will drink the water of the Sarasvati. In ecstasy I will roll on the ground along the banks of the river, raising an uproar of “Krsna! Krsna!”
Bowing down to the inhabitants of the holy land of Navadvipa, I will beg a bit of their mercy. I will wear the dress of a mendicant and smear the dust of the Vaisnavas’s feet on my body.
I will see no difference between the inhabitants of Vraja Bhumi and those of Navadvipa, and I will be transformed into a resident of Vraja. The true nature of the Lord’s abode will manifest itself to my eyes, and I will become a maidservant of Srimati Radharani.
(2) 1.dekhite dekhite, bhulibo ba kabe,
nayane heribo, braja-pura-sobha,
2.brsabhanu-pure, janama loibo,
jabate bibaha ha’be
braja-gopi-bhava, hoibe swabhava,
ano-bhava na rohibe
radha-krpa-bale, lobhibo ba kabe
4.jamuna-salila aharane giya,
prema-mugdha ho’ye, pagalini-praya
gaibo radhara jasa
- When, in a flash, will I forget my false bodily indentity and be able to behold the exquisite beauty of the realm of Vraja, full of eternal spiritual bliss?
- I shall take my birth in the town of King Vrsabhanu and be married in Yavatagram. My sole disposition and character shall be that of a cowherd girl, and I shall know no other.
- When, by the power of Radha’s mercy, will I obtain my own eternal spiritual body, name, form and dress and when, by Her mercy, will I obtain initiation into divine love of Krsna?
- As I go to draw water from the Yamuna, I shall cherish knowing the love that unites Radha with Krsna. I shall sing Sri Radha’s glories like a madwoman, enchanted by divine love.
hoibo je palya-dasi
sri-radhara sukha, satata sadhane,
rohibo ami prayasi
2.sri-radhara sukhe, krsnera je sukha
janibo manete ami
radha-pada chari’, sri-krsna-sangame,
kabhu na hoibo kani
3.sakhi-gana mama, parama-suhrit,
tad-anuga ho’ye, sevibo radhara,
4.radha-pakha chari, je-jana se-jana,
je bhave se bhave thake
ami to’radhika- pakha-pati sadha,
kabhu nahi heri ta’ke
- For serving the lotus feet of Sri Radha, the daughter of Vrsabhanu, I will become a maidservant of one of the gopis in Vraja. I will always strive to bring about the happiness of Sri Radha.
- Within my heart I will know that Radha’s pleasure is Krsna’s source of Joy. Therefore I will never desire to abandon Her lotus feet for His solitary company.
- The sakhis are my best friends and teachers concerning the love uniting Radha with Krsna. As one of their attendants, I will serve Radha’s lotus feet, which are like wish-fulfilling desire trees.
- I myself am always partial to Radhika and therefore never look at those who have abandoned Radha’s entourage, whoever they may be and whatever their ways.
Vijnapti, spiritual request, 1 song
kabe ha'be bolo se-dina amar
(amar) aparadha ghuci', suddha name ruci,
krpa-bale ha'be hrdoye sancar
trnadhika hina, kabe nije mani',
sahisnuta-guna hrdoyete ani'
sakale manada, apani amani,
ho'ye aswadibo nama-rasa-sar
dhana jana ara, kobita-sundari,
bolibo na cahi deho-sukha-kari
janme-janme dao, ohe gaurahari!
ahaituki bhakti carane tomar
(kabe) korite sri-krsna- nama uccarana,
pulakita deho gadgada bacana
baibarnya-bepathu ha'be sanghatana,
nirantara netre ba'be asru-dhar
kabe navadwipe, suradhuni-tate,
gaura-nityananda boli' niskapate
naciya gaiya, beraibo chute,
batulera praya chariya bicar
kabe nityananda, more kori'doya,
charaibe mora visayera maya
diya more nija- caranera chaya,
namera hatete dibe adhikar
kinibo, lutibo, hari-nama-rasa,
nama-rase mati' hoibo bibasa
rasera rasika- carana parasa,
koriya mojibo rase anibar
Kabe jibe doya, hoibe udoya,
nija-sukha bhuli' sudina-hrdoya
bhakativinoda, koriya binoya,
sri-ajna-tahala koribe pracar
When, oh when will that day be mine? When my offenses ceasing, taste for the name increasing, when in my heart will your mercy shine, when, oh when will that day be mine
Lower than a blade of grass,more tolerant than a tree. When will my mind attain this quality? Respectful to all, not expecting their honor, then shall I taste the name's nectar sublime. When, oh when will that day be mine?
Great wealth or followers, feminine beauty, I won't care for them or the comforts of my body. Birth after birth give me, Oh Lord Caitanya, causeless devotion to Your feet divine, when, oh when will that day be mine?
When will I utter Krsna,Krsna, Krsna, with words choked up and shivering body? When will I be trembling all over, lose bodily color, tears pouring from my eyes, When, oh when will that day be mine?
When in Navadvipa along the Ganges bank, shouting 'Gaura-Nityananda' as a surrendered soul, dancing, chanting, running everywhere, when will I become half mad of mind? When, oh when will that day be mine?
When will Lord Nityananda show mercy upon me, when will I reject the world of Maya:' Bestow unto me the shade of Your lotus feet, let the right to preach the name be mine. When, oh when will that day be mine?
I will beg, borrow, or steal the nectar of the name. By the name's effect I will feel paralyzed. Oh! Enjoyer of the nectar of the name, When will I touch your lotus feet till the end of time? When, oh when will that day be mine?
When kindness to all beings will be appearing, with free heart forget myself comforting, Bhaktivinoda in all humility prays, "Now I will set out to preach Your order sublime." When, oh when will that day be mine?
Sri Nama-Mahatmya, the glories of the holy name, 1 song
1.krsna-nama dhare kato bal
bisaya-basananale, mora citta sada jwale,
karna-randhra-patha diya, hrdi majhe pravesiya,
barisoya sudha anupam
2.hrdoya hoite bale, jihvara agrete cale,
sabda-rupe nace anukhon
kanthe mora bhange swar, anga kape thara thar,
sthira hoite na pare caran
3.cakhe dhara, dehe gharma, pulakita saba carma,
bibar na hoilo kalebar
murchita hoilo man, pralayer agaman,
bhave sarba-deha jara jar
kori’ eto upadrab, citte barse sudha-drab
more dare premer sagare
kichu na bujhite dilo, more ta’batula koilo,
mora citta-bitta saba hare
loinu asroya ja’r, heno byabahara ta’r,
barnite na pari e sakal
krsna-nama iccha-moy, jahe jahe sukhi hoy,
sei mora sukhera sambal
premera kalika nam, adbhuta rasera dham,
heno bala karaye prakasa
isat bikasi’punah, dekhay nija-rupa-guna
citta hori’ loya krsna-pasa
purna bikasita hoiya, braje more jaya loiya,
cekhay more swarupa-bilash
more siddha-deha diya, krsna-pase rakhe giya,
e dehera kare sarbe-nas
krsna-nama-cintamani, akhila rasera khani
namera balai jato, saba loiye hoi hato,
taba more sukhera udoy
How much power does the name of Krsna possess? My heart constantly burns in the fire of worldly desires, like a desert scorched by the sun. The holy name, entering within my heart thorugh the holes of my ears, showers unparalleled nectar upon my soul.
The holy name speaks from within my heart, moves on the tip of my tongue, and constantly dances on it in the form of transcendental sound.
My throat becomes choked up, my body violently trembles, and my feet move uncontrollably.
Rivers of tears flow from my eyes. Perspiration pours from my body. My body thrills with rapture, causing my hair to stand on end and my skin to turn pale and discolored. My mind grows faint, and I begin to experience devastation. My entire body is shattered in a flood of ecstasies.
While causing such an ecstatic disturbance, the holy name showers liquid nectar on my heart and drowns me in the ocean of divine love of Godhead. He does not allow me to understand anything, For He has made me truly mad and has stolen away my heart and all my wealth.
Such is the behaviour of Him who is now my only shelter. I am not capable of describing all this. The holy name of Krsna is independent and thus acts at His own sweet will. In Whatever way He becomes happy, that is also my way of happiness.
The holy name is thebud of the flower of divine love, the abode of devotion’s wonderful mellows. Such is the power that He manifests, that although He displays His power only slightly, He reveals His own divine form and qualities, steals my heart and takes it to Krsna.
Being fully manifest, the holy name of takes me to Vraja and reveals to me His own love dalliance. He gives to me my own divine, eternal body, keeps me near Krsna and completely destroys this mortal frame of mine.
The name of Krsna is touchstone, a mine of all devotional mellows, eternally liberated, and the embodiment of pure rasa. When all impedimets to the pure chanting of the holy name are taken away and destroyed, then my happiness will know its true awakening
Thus ends the Saranagati of Thakura Bhaktivinoda
Gitavali (Selected Songs)
Sri Namastaka, prayers glorifying the holy name, 8 songs
(1) sri-rupa-badane sri -saci-kumar
swa-nam-mahima koralo pracar
jo nam, so hari -kachu nahi bheda
so nam satya-miti gayati beda
sabu upanisada, ratna-mala-dyuti,
mangal-arati, koro-i anukhan,
caudda bhuvana maha, deba-nara-danaba,
bhaga jakor balavan
nama-rasa-piyusa, pi-oi anukhana,
nitya-mukta punah, nama-upasana,
satata koro-i sama-gane
goloke baithata, gaowe nirantar,
nama-biraha nahi jane
sabu-rasa akara, ‘hari’ iti dvikhar,
sabu-bhave karolun asroy
nama carane pari bhaktivinoda kohe,
tuwa pade magohun niloy
Through the mouth of Srila Rupa Gosvami, Krsna, in the form of Lord Caitanya, the son of Mother Saci, preached the glories of His own holy name.
There is no difference between that holy name of Lord Hari and Lord Hari Himself. The Vedic scriptures sing of the true value and glory of the holy name.
All the Upanisads are like a necklace of beautifully effulgent jewels shining before the lotus feet of the holy name. They are perpetually perform mangala arati for the holy name with arati lamps of ten ghee wicks.
Within the fourteen worlds , those demigods, men and demons whose fortune is very great, perpetually drink the nectar of the sweet mellows of the holy name, casting aside all kinds of fruitive activities and speculative froms of knowledge.
The eternally liberated souls, however, always worship the holy name in beautifully composed hymns and songs and sit in Goloka Vrndavana constantly singing the name. Therefore they do not know any separation from the holy name.
The two syllables ha and ri are a mine of all devotionall mellows. All the ecstasies of devotion have taken shelter in them. Falling at the lotus feet of the holy name, Thakura Bhaktivinoda says, O Harinam, I pray for residence at Your lotus feet.”
(2) jaya jaya harinam, cidanandamrta-dham,
nija-jane krpa kori, nama-rupe avatari,
jibe hoya korile apar
jaha ‘hari’, ‘krsna’, ‘ram’, jaga-jana subisram,
muni-brnda nirantar, je namer samadar,
kori’ gay bhoriya badan
ohe krsna-namakhar, tumi sarba-sakti-dhar,
toma bina bhava-sindhu, uddharite nahi bandhu,
ache tapa jibe jata, tumi saba koro hata,
helaya tomare ek-bar
dake jadi kono jan, ho’ye dina-akincan,
nahi dekhi’ anya pratikara
taba svalpa-sphurti pay, ugra-tapa dure jay,
linga-ghanga hoy anayase
bhakativinoda koy, jaya harinama jay,
pare thaki tuwa pada-ase
All glories, all glories to the holy name, the abode of immortal transcendental bliss. The Supreme Absolute Truth, who possesses an eternal form, has descended in the form of the holy name. He shows mercy to His devotees and shows boundless compassion and kindness to all fallen souls.
All glories to the Supreme Personality of Godhead who is called by different names such as Hari, Krsna and Rama. He is the auspicious resting place of all living entities within the universe, and He delights the minds of all souls. Great sages, honoring His holy name, constantly sing that holy name, fe, nisa nidra-base
nahi bhavi — marana nikate ache bo'se
I waste every day in useless, insignificant work, and I waste every night controlled by sleep. And in every 24 hours I never for one second consider that cruel death is sitting very close by my side.
(7) bhalo manda khai, heri, pari, cinta-hina
nahi bhavi, e deho chadibo kon dina
I live a very carefree life-style, sometimes eating a lot, or eating a little if I feel like it, sometimes I see nice things around the town, or sometimes I do not go out at all, sometimes I wear opulent clothing, or if I'm in the mood, I'll wear something simple. I live so carefree that I never consider that one day I will have to give up this body.
(8) deho-geho-kalatradi-cinta abirata
jagiche hrdoye mor buddhi kori' hata
My poor heart is plagued by constant anxieties about the maintenance and daily turmoils created by my body, my house, my wife, my family members and my social obligations. All these anxieties are pinching me and destroying all my intelligence.
(9) hay, hay! nahi bhavi — anitya e saba
jibana bigate kotha rohibe baibhava?
Alas, alas! What a remorseful situation has arisen! I am absorbed in all this trouble, but I never consider that all these things are temporary and subject to perish very soon. After I'm dead and gone, where will all of my material opulences remain?
(10) smasane sarira mama poriya rohibe
bihanga-patanga tay bihar koribe
When my body will be thrown int the pit at the cremation grounds, it will simply lie there motionlessly. Then many crows, vultures, ants, and worms will come and playfully sport there.
(11) kukkur srgal sab anandita ho'ye
mahotsaba koribe amar deha lo'ye
All the stray dogs and jackals will then become very much delighted, and in great ecstasy they will make a festival ground out of my body and will have a huge celebration and feast.
(12) je deher ei gati, ta'r anugata
samsar-baibhava ar bandhu-jana jata
Just see, this is the ultimate destination of this material body. And the most amazing thing is that all of my material opulences, house, family and friends have exactly the same destination.
(13) ataeva maya-moha chadi' buddhiman
nitya-tattva krsna-bhakti korun sandhan
Therefore I ask of anyone who has any sharp intelligence: please give up all of these temporary illusions presented by maya, and kindly search after the means to get pure devotion to Lord Krsna, for this is the only really tangible eternal truth.
SONG FOUR — WORSHIP NOW, NOT LATER
(1) jibana-samapti-kale koribo bhajana,
ebe kori grha-sukha'
kakhan e katha nahi bole bijna-jana,
e deha patanonmukha
A wise, experienced man will never say: 'At the end of my life I will woship God, but now I will enjoy happiness in family life'– for he knows that this body is tottering and unstable, about to drop at any second.
(2) aji ba sateka barse abasya marana,
niscinta na thako bhai
jata sighra para, bhajo sri-krsna-carana
jibaner thik nai
Death certainly must come, either today or in about hundred years, so don't live so carefree, brothers! Immediately begin worshiping the lotus feet of Krsna, for ther is no fixed certainty of this life.
(3) samsar nirvana kori' ja'bo ami brndabana
rna-troy sodhibare koritechi sujatana
One thinks: 'After spending my worldly life I shall go to Vrndavana, but to purify myself of the three debts I am endeavoring very hard now'.
(4) e asay nahi prayojana
emon durasa base, ja'bo prana abasese,
na hoile dina-bandhu carana-sevana
This type of idea is not the ultimate goal of life. By the influence of such a nonsensical desire, your life will depart in the end without your ever having worshiped the lotus feet of -dina-bandhu-, sthe dearmost Friend of the fallen.
(5) jadi sumangala cao, sada krsna-nama gao,
grhe thako, bane thako, ithe tarka akarana
If you want the topmost auspiciousness, then just sing always the name of Krsna whether you live at home or in the forest. All these other arguments described here are simply aimless excuses.